Thursday 1 July 2010

Corrigan - Medicine Stick

One of my favourite all time 'local' bands are the mighty Corrigan. They were one of the first Belfast based bands I saw and the first I made a point of going to check out whenever they played. Unfortunately they kinda went off the boil, played less and less frequently, wrote songs that weren't up to par to the first album, and they split. They still leave a pretty awesome legacy in their album 'How To Hang Off A Rope' and with the bands that formed after their demise - LaFaro, Cashier #9, and John Edgar Voe.














To this day I still say Martin Corrigan is the best front man Belfast has seen (go ahead and name me someone better) and his lyrics are second to none with their twisted humour and downright disturbing notions ("Well I sent for my sister. And they sent me her cousin. I said she sure is quite good looking. Send me half a dozen!")

With songs like McArthur, Water Ballad, and Sometime I Think About, Corrigan will forever live in my heart as the founders of the modern music scene in Belfast. And yes, I do realise how ridiculous that statement sounds.

They never amde any 'official' videos but here's one Martin, 'Uncle Senator' Joe Greene (Documenta / Olympic Lifts), and Neil Hughes (Driving By Night) made while on a drunken trip to L.A. a few years ago.

THEY'RE THE IRISH PUPPETS!

No comments:

Post a Comment